Pre requisites and Instructions:
1. Before you start flashing make backups of phone specially contacts, photos, text messages, videos and music files. Please remember phone will be formatted during the process and the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card.
2. Remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone. This is advisable.
3. Now, ensure that you keep some things handy like USB cable which you have got with GT I9003 and also the device,
4. Most importantly you need to ensure that your phone has at least 60-80% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum.
5. Ensure that you have administrative rights for computer / laptop which runs on a XP, Vista or Windows 7 OS to download and install the software including the drivers and also along with this you will be requiring the USB port on your computer which supports USB 2.0.
6. Check if you can get into the download mode which is the top most necessity for updating your device. For those whose devices unable to get into the download mode and the recovery mode follow instructions here.
7. Download Odin (program required to push updates files to device and usb drivers (if kies is installed you will not need drivers) from http://www.samfirmware.com/WEBPROTECT-programandroid.htm
8. Download available gingerbread firmware and pit (partition information table) file from http://www.samfirmware.com/WEBPROTECT-i9003.htm. Unzip this file to get either one(pda or code file) , three(pda,csc and phone or modem) or four files(boot,pda,csc and phone files).
9. Ensure that you have closed the KIES completely and also disable any firewalls if any.
Procedure to flash / update gingerbread on your Galaxy S GT I9003:
- After downloading the firmwarewhich contains 3 files, PDA, Phone and CSC or 4 files (additional boot file) along with the Odin as well as the PIT file which you will get when you unzip the same with the help of WinZip and need to extract the same on to your desktop and if it prompts you for the password then you will have to enter the password as “samfirmware.com”.
- Now, you need to switch off your phone and also ensure that you have completely closed the KIES application on your computer and ensure that you haven’t connected the mobile to the computer.
- Now as mentioned in the above pre requisites, first switch off your phone, take out the sim card along with the memory card and turn on your device in the download mode. To start download mode in Samsung Galaxy S GT I 9003, you need to hold the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device. If you see a screen yellow triangle means that you have successfully started your device in the download mode. If your device restarts normally with home screen then that means download mode have not been initiated, in this case you again need to switch off the device and again you will have to try restarting your device in download mode. The biggest benefit of the Download mode is that it acts like a safe mode for your phone which has the ability to restore the files if anything goes wrong.
- Now, after successfully getting into the download mode, you will have to connect the Phone to the computer with the help of USB cable while Odin opened in the desktop. As soon as you connect the phone, you will see that first ID:COM box as shown below will turn yellow and in the message box you will see that it will show ADDED as shown in the below screen shot.
- activate check mark for “Re-partition and click on PIT button to select .pit file. Click on start button. do not touch your phone or shutdown your pc during this step. pit files is flashed and message box on left side will display something like….OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0) and first left top box green and with pass msg as in screenshot above.
- Now disconnect phone remove battery wait for 5 secs and put battery back in phone and reboot phone in download mode.
- In odin click on reset button and remove check box selection for Re-partition.
- Click on respective buttons to select boot, pda, csc and phone files that you got in firmware from samfirmware.com
- click on start button to flash firmware files. do not touch your phone or shutdown your pc during this step. After 2-3 minutes the updation process will be completed after which you will see that once firmware is flashed successfully to you phone top left windows will display PASS message in green again as in screen shot bellow. The device will be restarting and this reboot generally is a bit longer one as this is the first reboot after the firmware update.
- Now, after reboot you will see that you will be asked to set up the startup options, choose the options accordingly and then after you see the home screen and after the completion of Media scanning, you will have to go in the recovery mode wherein you will have to delete the cache memory so that all unwanted files are removed if there are any left in the phone.
- Now, after reboot you will see that you will be asked to set up the startup options, choose the options accordingly and then after you see the home screen and after the completion of Media scanning, you will have to go in the recovery mode wherein you will have to delete the cache memory so that all unwanted files are removed if there are any left in the phone. For this you will have to first turn off your device, long press the volume up key, press Menu as holding both the buttons press the power button to start. You can see that after device gets switched ON, you will find options like clear cache data. You can clear that by selecting options Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition after which you need to reboot your device by selecting reboot system now after which your Galaxy SL will be rebooting and again you will have to set up your Google accounts etc.
- Now, to check on which version you are on then you will have to just tap on the Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version where you will find the version of Android OS where it will show 2.3.3 or anything of gingerbread version that you flashed with
- In case you not able to connect to kies (this generally happens when kies find that the rom you have installed in not matching with rom published for your region) just uninstall kies. clean registry with ccleaner and reinstall kies as fresh and connect your phone to kies which very happily accept you phone.
- In case you don’t want to get pulled around with kies you may go for something like “check fus” command line tool available at fus.nanzen.se
- Hope i have helped you.. in case you find some suggestions please leave a comment.